Fryer House opened, originally as the Hospice (sanatorium) on 3rd March 1923. It was built by the family of OL Joseph Fryer, who died in a climbing accident in 1921, to recognise the happy years that Joseph had spent at Leighton Park.
During the war years, the school became home for many Jewish refugee boys from Eastern Europe. Much of the parkland and sports fields were converted to land to grow vegetables. German pupil, Old Leightonians and a member of staff were interned: Charles Evans fought hard for fair treatment for them all.